Quite often a new dog owner will buy a dog that's meant for working but their lifestyle is of the type that will not give the dog the exercise and work that it needs.So here are some things that you can do to give your working dog a job.
1. Go for a daily walk - if 30 minutes doesn't seem to be enough shoot for an hour you'll be amazed at what it does for your dog and for your waistline as well. Even better yet if you are a jogger take your dog with you. Depending on its physical condition you may need to condition it for longer runs but it will be good for both of you.
2. If you have a dog that enjoys Frisbee teach your dog to catch a Frisbee and spend some time every day playing with your dog. In fact, if you both get into the Frisbee game there are actually clubs that you can join in most major cities that include training and competition.
3. Obedience training is another way to give your dog a job. Yes, obedience trains your dog 2 - 3 times a day for a simple short no more than 15 minutes at a time session. You will be amazed at how a 15-minute obedience session can take some of the energy out of your dog.
4. If you would like your dog to use its brain there are now several different toys that will challenge your dog's mind while it tries to figure out how to get a treat. Take a look at this link TRIXIEPet Products Flip Board. I highly recommend you purchase online through Amazon at this link
5. If your dog enjoys swimming you can always take him down to the river or your own pool if you happen to have one. Swimming is an excellent way to exercise humans and it works for dogs as well.
The key to all of this is to get your dog up and busy. If your dog has a job or is exercised well you will have fewer problems with it at home. Remember what I have been saying forever, "a trained dog is a happy dog and an exhausted dog is even happier". So get out there and do something fun with your dog.