Tuesday, 28 November 2017

FDA Warns Dog Owners about Processed bone treats


If you plan to give your dog bone treats this year, you may want to think twice about it, after a warning issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that many dogs became sick or died from dog bone treats.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has received approximately 68 reports of dogs diseases related to “bone treat" treats that are produced and packaged for sale as dog treats. This treats such as pork femur bones, ham bones, ribs bones and smokey knuckles bones, were listed in the reports.

"Giving a bone treat to your dog can lead to a sudden trip to your veterinarian, a likely emergency surgery or even the death of your beloved pet,” accords to Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA.

Some of the diseases reported by veterinarians and dog owners comprise of choking, vomiting, gastrointestinal obstruction, cuts, and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils, diarrhea, bleeding from the rectum and/or death.

About 90 dogs are those reported to be involved; with 15 reportedly dead after eating the bone treat. Some reports include more than one dog.

The FDA says pet owners should avoid giving their dogs chicken bones or other bones from the kitchen table and be cautious not to throw them into the trash can, as dogs are notorious for helping themselves to the turkeys or steak bones put in the trash can.


To read more about this report, visit the FDA's website.




Artikel Terkait