Girl, 3, lost in the Australian bush is rescued by old farm dog which stayed by her side through the night

A three-year-old girl lost in the bush overnight in Australia was rescued after a deaf, partially blind dog stayed by her side all night and helped the researchers find her.

The girl, Aurora, left her family remote rural home in Queensland around 3 p.m. Friday
She was followed into the bushland by Max; the family’s trusted dog, a 17-year-old partially deaf and blind cattle dog.

The dog stayed by her side for approximately sixteen hours even as rain was falling and the overnight temperatures dropped. The pair seems to be protected under a rock.

In the morning, around 100 emergency workers and local volunteers left at first light to try to find Aurora.

The little girl was discovered around 7.30am after her grandmother, Leisa Marie Bennett, heard her crying faintly “Granny” from the top of the mountain, one mile from the house.

When Mrs. Bennett approached, Max came out and meets her and took her to Aurora.

According to Ms. Bennett to ABC News "When I heard her scream" Grammy, "I knew it was her."

"I climbed up the mountain ... and when I got to the top, the dog came up to me and took me directly to her. He did not leave her sight, she smells dog, she slept with the dog."

According to Ian Phipps, from the State Emergency Service, the surrounding area was mountainous and "rugged terrain."
"She walked a long distance with her dog, that was faithful to her," he said.

"With yesterday's weather it is quite lucky she is fine because it was cold and raining."

Ms. Bennett’s partner, Kelly Benston wrote on Facebook that Aurora was "fine" and was found with “some scratches from the bush but wasn’t even afraid”.

  “Went down a small valley and went up the face of a small mountain and camped there for the night,” he wrote. “The dog camped with her. Found around 7:30 am

Ms. Bennett said the meeting with her granddaughter included "a lot of tears."
"I think [Aurora] was a bit besieged by the howling and tears, but I enlightened her how happy those tears were," she said.

"It could have gone any of the 100 ways, but she is here, she is alive, she is well and it’s a wonderful outcome for our family."

After the rescue operation, the Queensland police force name Max an honorary police dog. Check out the video below.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.