The Bilton veterinarian Center in Rugby, Warwickshire, confirmed: "Unfortunately, we have had a confirmed case of CRGV/Alabama Rot in a dog in our practice. The dog has sadly died as a result of this disease."
Experts warn that the disease reaches its peak between November and February, especially in icy cold conditions.
Dog owners have been told to "be very careful" when they walk their dogs where there are stagnant pools of water, and it is believed the germs thrive in bushy, boggy ground in the winter months.
The Royal Veterinary College in London says that only 15 to 20% of all surviving species are at risk.
Veterinarians at Winchester-based Andersen Morres, who led the research in the country, said it is possible that there is an environmental ‘trigger’.
"It is up to every dog walker to decide whether to avoid certain types of areas or certain terrain."
Most cases have occurred in Hampshire, Dorset and Greater Manchester.
It causes damage to the blood vessels of the skin and kidneys.
An early sign is an unexplained redness, swelling of the skin or sores, especially on the paw or legs, but it can also be found on the body, face, tongue or mouth.
This disease can cause kidney failure, include signs of vomiting, decreased appetite, and tiredness.
According to David Walker, chief of medicine at Anderson Morris "The suspicion is that whatever causes this disease is ingested orally.
"Signs to always look out for are small injuries below the knee or elbow and circular or similar to an ulcer.
"The hair will fall off that will attract the dog attention and they may start licking it."
However, the difficulty is that not all the lesions will look the same. Be watchful and if people are worried they should go to their local veterinarians.
"It can be helpful to wash down your dog after a walk."
A spokesman for the Forestry Committee said: "Be on the lookout for anything that dogs can pick up, chew or eat in a woodland area."
A spokesperson for Vets4Pets said: "The concern is that the disease does not seem to target a particular breed, age, sex or dog weight."
A spokesperson for the Burton Veterinary Group in Swindon, Wilts: "Do not walk in woodland and always wash the mud off your dog's after a walk.
"But I do not want dog owners to panic and think they can never let dogs out." Dogs need to be out and about and have a full and active life.
A dog owner whose cocker spaniel died after walking in West Woods, Marlborough, Wilts, in December 2015 said: “Suddenly, lesions began to appear on their legs.
"It was unfortunate, but there was no other decision we could make, she was two and a half years old and was as fit as fiddle. I just want to make sure that other dog owners are aware of the situation."